Rory's most recent experience includes the training of guides in the Lower Zambezi for their Zambia Wildlife examinations.
The Bedrock Africa service extends from specialist guiding to fixed departure tours for bird viewing, painting and wildlife safaris, including tailor made tours. In addition to its ground handling operations, the company can assist with airline reservations, transfers and lodge or hotel bookings.
About your guide
From the age of six, Rory McDougall had a profound interest in the African bush. As a student he was privileged to work under Peter Ginn, a published Southern African ornithologist and bird photographer. Rory accompanied Peter on annual museum collection study field trips to the Makagikagi Salt Pan area in Botswana. Eventually he headed the bird ringing unit, before studying at the University of Cape Town for a degree in Zoology and Botany.
Rory first qualified as a Luangwa Valley walking safari guide in 1990. Since then he has been a full time safari operator and guide, specialising in walking, birding and painting safaris within Zambia. He has worked with some of Zambia's finest tour operators, including Remote Africa Safaris in North and South Luangwa National Park, the "Chikoko Trails", the award winning Chiawa Camp, in the Lower Zambezi National Park, and Chongwe River Camp. Since 1985 he has done a vast amount of work as a registered Honorary Ranger.
Rory is one of Zambia's premier birders, and a member of the National Association of the Zambia Ornithological Society (ZOS). He has undertaken a survey of the vulture counts throughout the country. This is an extremely important metric as sudden drops in vulture sightings are a strong indication of poaching activity. In September 2011, Rory led the successful Birdquest trip to the North-Western, Eastern and Southern Provinces of Zambia.
In early 2000, Rory was instrumental in consultancy wildlife projects in Zambia for and on behalf of the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF), helping to set up an important conservation area on the Kafue Flats Floodplain. This project combined the needs of the commercial farming and industrial sectors with those of traditional farmers. Thereafter, Rory was selected to escort the traditional chief of the area to Miami, Florida, for the Annual WWF Conference. There he addressed the conference delegates on behalf of the partners in the commercial sector.
As a recognized wildlife artist, Rory invariably delights clients with new perspectives on wildlife developed through his paintings. He loves to share his passion of painting and the natural world around him through his amazing painting safaris. As an experienced art teacher, he helps clients discover new and hidden talents within themselves.
Rory is a self taught artist who has exhibited regularly since 1985. Rory paints in a variety of mediums and his passion is painting birds, wildlife and landscapes. Rory shares his love and knowledge of art through these fabulous painting safaris.
Seek out Zambia's beautiful birds and other wildlife with Bedrock Africa. This professional tour operator offers many exciting tours throughout the year, including trips to Kasanka, Bangweulu Swamps and Shiwa Ng'andu in December. A sample itinerary is:
- 02 Dec: Depart at 09:00 from Lusaka International Airport by charter plane to Kasanka National Park. Morning and afternoon birding before the bats appear in the evening. Accommodation in Wasa Camp.
- 03 Dec: Birding — this park has recorded the third highest number of birds in Zambia. It is an excellent time of year for migrants.
Accommodation in Wasa Camp
- 04 Dec: After breakfast, charter flight to Bangweulu. Birding in Bangweulu in search of the Shoebill, the Black Lechwe and the Sitatunga. Accommodation in Shoebill Camp.
- 05 Dec: Birding in Bangweulu. Accommodation at Shoebill Camp.
- 06 Dec: Charter flight to Shiwa Ng'andu. Birding around Shiwa Ng'andu and tour of the houses. Accommodation at Shiwa House and Impandala Farm House.
- 07 Dec: Birding around Shiwa — morning and afternoon excursions around the lake. Accommodation at Shiwa House and Impandala Farm House.
- 08 Dec: Day trip to Kapisha Hot Springs. Accommodation at Shiwa House and Impandala Farm House.
- 09 Dec: Charter to Lusaka after brunch.
Bedrock Africa key information
- Tours organised professionally
- Wildlife safaris with renowned guide Rory McDougall
- Birding safaris
- Art and photographic safaris